The Java course is ideal for students from 6th grade and above. We created excellent material to introduce all the basic concepts of Java in a fun and engaging manner. The course covers all the essentials like variables, arithmetic and logical operations, string manipulations, arrays, and functions. It also introduces the students to advanced topics like object oriented programming and GUI interfaces. The course is taught in four or five 2-hour sessions.
Note to Students and Parents:
- This course requires full commitment from students to attend all the sessions.
- Please register only if you are interested in programming and can attend all the sessions.
- Students are required to do online quizzes and about 2 hours of programming exercises/homework every week for the duration of the class so that they can keep up with the curriculum.
- If you skip a session, it will be very difficult to catch up during the next session. Make sure you don't have any conflicts during these workshops.
- Students should bring their own Windows or Mac laptops (no chrome books) and must install JDK/Eclipse well ahead of the first session. We do have a few loaner laptops in case you don't have a laptop, but using your own laptop enables you to do homework programs and get the full benefit of the workshop.
- Go to the Java Online Course
- Go over the first two lessons titled "Java Workshops" and "Setup Your Laptop", where there is detailed information on how to download and install Java, and check that the software has been correctly installed.
Why M&C Java?
- Our curriculum is specifically geared towards middle and early high school students - all the in-class programs and projects were created exclusively for this age-group
- More hands-on programming. Concepts taught with fun exercises (like the jeopardy game for variables/operations, zombie game for conditionals etc) that take the fear out of programming
- Instructors available 24/7 to help with questions (shoot us an email and we will get back to you within siz hours)
- Students have take home quizzes and program exercises after every session.
- Tons of freedom to explore - students often suggest the projects during the class. Even though we have general curriculum and target to cover all the basic concepts by the end of the workshop, each class evolves dynamically. No two workshops are exactly identical.
What's after Java?
- We offer advanced Java workshop once in a while.
- Checkout Python/Web Design/App Development classes
- We also give out tons of online resources and learning materials for student to get better at the basics and learn all advanced concepts. Learn these skills and contact us if you have any questions
- Take AP Computer Science class when you get to high school. With everything you learned in our classes, that class should be a breeze!
What are our students saying?
Very well organized. Good Coverage of topics
This was the only way my daughter could get exposure to coding. She loved your classes"
Good preparation, the two instructors knew their materials well and were very helpful. I think they demonstrated good teaching skills as well as patience. I appreciate their effort in teaching Java to elementary kids
individualized attention from instructors, collaborative planning, enthusiasm with kids, initiative to encourage collaboration